This is a piece I have created for Liza's Design Team. Although it may look quite simple there was actually quite a lot that went into it. Unfortunately, I can not get a good picture of the finished item. When we moved my mini photo studio got packed away and I have not found it yet. I hope by breaking down the processes you will be able to see the work that went into this.
I started with a 5 x 7 canvas board, I don't often use this type of base so it was a challenge to me to begin with. Although they are supposed to be gesso primed I always give my canvases a coat of my gesso anyway so that was my first step.
I had no idea of what I was going to do when I started this project but I thought I would do things a little differently than I usually do. I opened up my draw of acrylic paints and pulled out three colours I liked together. A lime green, a turquoise and an aqua. I just added them to the canvas and blended them together. I thought the colours looked a bit flat so I sprayed a clear sparkle on top just to lighten it.
My next step was to add some texture to the background, normally I do this first and add the colour afterwards. I used the stencil that Liza sent me in my DT box but I did not have a stencil paste or texture paste in a colour I thought worked with the background paint. So I used some of the paste and gold mica from my DT box and mixed them to make a gold stencil paste.
Next I decided to use the chipboard piece. I considered painting it but then remembered the gold leaf we had been sent. I used size to adhere the gold leaf to the chip board. Once it is dry you can use a dry brush to remove the excess gold leaf and bring out the detail. Remember to brush off the excess into a container so you can use it in another project.
As the project was taking on a steampunk look I picked out some metal pieces from the DT box. The large butterfly I covered with 2 coats of green wax to give it a bit of a patina. I lifted the top set of wings to give it dimension and added the light bulb charm to the centre to represent the body. I then added the clock to the bottom of the piece to balance it. I decided that somethings needed help to stand out from the background so I added a black outline around the chipboard piece and the clock.